Lonely Planet ranks Sri Lanka as world’s number 1 travel destination!
Travel + Leisure names Sri Lanka ‘Best Island in the World’!
Lonely Planet has named Sri Lanka as the world’s best travel destination while the Travel + Leisure names Sri Lanka as ‘Best Island in the World’ 2019, given the fact that you’ll find all the magic, you would expect from South Asia, whether you are a foodie or a wellness seeker, an adrenaline junkie or a family traveller.
- In 1988, the sacred city of Kandy was appointed the status of World Heritage Site, mainly due to the Temple of the Tooth.
- Sigiriya was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1982.
- Anuradhapura was the first ancient capital city of Sri Lanka and was named a World Heritage Site in 1982 by UNESCO.
- The last remaining primary rainforest in Sri Lanka, Sinharaja Forest Reserve was designated a natural UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988
- Since 1988, the entire Galle Fort has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- This town is known as one of the best surf spots in Sri Lanka. Besides Arugam Bay, Hiriketiya, Weligama beaches are where pros and amateurs go to master the waves.